RACIAL LITERACYPop-Up Course, Spring 2021
relies on racial literacy.
Let’s do this work together.
This course is for all Northeastern undergraduates, across race, national origin, and ethnicities.
- BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) students are encouraged to participate.
- International students are encouraged to participate.
- White students are encouraged to participate.
Everyone is encouraged to participate!
pm Honest dialogue about race and racism is difficult. We can do this work and must if we expect to live in world that is just, safe, and inclusive for all people. This 1-credit pop-up is about developing racial literacy and refers to detecting, naming, opposing, and replacing racism. When we commit to speaking truthfully about race, we will experience vulnerability. If we can remain in this space, the potential for growth also exists. In reflecting on the topics, we will examine the intersectionality of race with gender, sexuality, class, and status.
Each module will includes small group meetings of 8 students and a facilitator. Module facilitators will guide students in asking difficult questions and conducting meaningful reflections toward self-exploration and anti-racist affect, thoughts, behaviors, and actions.
- February 23 – First meeting 7:00 – 8:00 pm, following the kick-off event, “Racial Literacy: Students Reflect,” 5:00 – 6:30 pm
- March 2 – Racial Literacy: History 5:00 – 6:30 pm
- March 16 – Racial Literacy: Culture 5:00 – 6:30 pm
- March 23 – Racial Literacy: Community and Policing 5:00 – 6:30 pm
- March 30 – Racial Literacy: Reflections 5:00 – 6:30 pm
One section is reserved for faculty and staff, who will earn a badge for participation. Please refer to the email you received for further details.
ASL interpreting will be provided. We recommend attendees make sure they are using the most current version of Zoom before logging into the event. Instructions on updating Zoom can be found here.
Registration for the pop-up course is now open.
Enroll in INPR 2183, Section 1, on Banner (CRN 39293).
This pop-up course is one billable credit.
Pop-up Instructors: Ellen Cushman and Tracy Robinson-Wood
Curriculum: Tracy Robinson-Wood, Ellen Cushman, Patricia Davis, Nicole Aljoe, Rod Brunson, and Uta Poiger